Archive for the ‘Life’ Category
Tardigrades are one of the neatest examples of life on Earth. There are many lifelong enthusiasts of these microscopic magesteria… Tardigrades are the new dinosaurs.
|Arthropoda||Jointed foot||Arthropods||Chitin exoskeleton||1,134,000+|
|Subphyla and Classes|
- A. Acanthocephala not noticed until beginning of the 18th century, not distinguished until Koelreuther (1771) proposes the name Acanthocephala.
- B. Muller (1776) unaware,of Koelreuther’s work calls them Echinorhynchus.
- C. Rudolphi (1809) formally gives them the name Acanthocephala.
- D. Many species were described in the 19th century and all were placed under one generic name- Echinorhynchus.
- E. Position of Acanthocephala was very uncertain; placed among flatworms, roundworms, chaetognatha, and finally lumped into the Aschelminthes.
- F. Hyman removes Acanthocephala from the Aschelminthes making them into a separate phylum.